Sunday, June 23, 2013

Aches and Pains


Friday started out as any other day. I had oatmeal for breakfast and water. I met with David right before lunch to discuss a project he wanted to me do and we ended up working through lunch. I had a small package of animal biscuits and then a granola bar. By 1 pm things started moving out the back end and by 2 pm I was feeling nauseous as well.

So I told Carly I wasn’t feeling well and caught the taxi to the south campus entrance. Now the walk from the south campus entrance to Lagoon Lodge takes at least 15 minutes. Unfortunately, I hit it about the time the school children were getting out and they all wanted to stop and talk to me. While trying to be polite I tried to keep moving toward my desired destination which was the bathroom in my room.

I did make it in time. While sitting on the toilet taking care of business, I suddenly could not hold my stomach contents anymore either. Fortunately, there is a bucket right next to the toilet that I use to wash clothes. So I had things coming out both ends at the same time. After several hours of that, I decided that maybe it was time to start the traveler’s diarrhea medicine. At 8 pm I took the first dose and that was the last of the problem with both ends.

The label on the medicine says it might make you sleepy. I believe it because I pretty much slept all day on Saturday. I barely ate anything either. I had a milo which is like hot chocolate but fortified for breakfast and for supper and I tried to eat fried rice for lunch. I barely touched a quarter of the serving but it was a start.

Sunday morning I woke up at 4 am feeling pretty good. I needed to go to the bathroom so I got out of bed and stepped into a puddle of water. At first I thought that maybe my water bottle had fallen over and spilled on the floor but once I turned on the light I realized that the whole floor was covered in at least a quarter inch of water. After doing some investigating, I found that the toilet tank had over-flowed and was still leaking water into the room. Obviously the float had not shut off the refill correctly.

I went in search of Lodge staff but found none at that early hour. I did however find a mop and a bucket which I promptly took up to my room to see if I could start solving the problem myself. After working on it an hour, drenched in sweat and having emptied the bucket four times, I was wishing I had my shopvac from back home.

At 5 pm, I finally found staff and explained my situation to him. He left and returned with toilet paper. He obviously didn’t understand the problem. So I took him to my room and showed him. Then he understood and began taking over where I had left off. 

Fortunately for me, I didn’t have too much sitting on the floor so nothing was irreparably damaged. Now I’m sore in my neck and shoulders and I’m reminding myself that I was feeling good at 4 am so I have to attribute my aches and pains to the labor that I had done for an hour.

I’m hoping to go for a walk later today.



No comments:

Post a Comment