Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Trip to Senya


Today I rode over to Senya with two Challenging Heights’ staff to take pictures of a training session that they were leading for Child Protection Workers regarding recognizing and preventing Child Trafficking.

 Let me tell you first a little about Ghana time. If someone says they will meet you at a certain time, it usually means a half hour to an hour later. So the driver this morning was supposed to pick me up at 8 am he showed up at 8:40 am.  We then picked up David and Steven, the Challenging Heights gentlemen and headed down the road to Senya.

 The road to get to and from Senya was pretty much what we would call back home a B-grade road. The driver did an excellent job of avoiding the potholes though. At one point, he was on the left side in order to miss all the pot holes on the right side and a truck was coming from the other direction, also on the left side. I began to feel like they might be playing a game of chicken. Fortunately, our driver moved over to the right lane just in time.

 We arrived at the Senya Council Building about 10 am. I have learned to ask where the bathroom is before I need it. So one of the local gentlemen took me out of the building; down a dirt path; tried a locked gate (it was locked); kept leading me down the path; around another building; over some rocks; around another building; and finally to another gate. Inside there were girls with sewing machines and he asked them if I could use their bathroom. It was a very nice bathroom with a flush toilet. Even through when I asked him about the bathroom, I didn't need to go, by the time were we done with the hike, I figured I had better make the trip worthwhile.

 
I think the program went very well judging from the animated conversation and questions. I didn’t understand it because everyone was speaking Fante.

 
Since I'm dozing as I try to create this blog, I think I will call it a night.
 
For additional photos, check out my most recent facebook album.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment