Friday, June 7, 2013

Arrived in Ghana


Shops along the road from Accra to Winneba.

The trip was relatively uneventful. I did get the full security screening: pat down, hands and all my items tested for residue and the contents of my carry-on and backpack thoroughly searched. The security office was very nice though. The main reason I got such a complete check was because I had an ice pack for my insulin that was more than 3 ounces and when they wiped my phone and the inside of my camera case they got a couple of alarms. Everything else checked out fine so I’m not sure why those two areas might have had something on them. The only possible caused was that I bought four used books from the library to bring on the trip and maybe one of the previous owners had residue that might have caused the alarms. In any case, it took a half hour but I finally got checked out and allowed to pass.

I arrived in Accra, Ghana today, Friday, June 7, 2013 at about 1 pm. Ghana is five hours ahead of Iowa time. I did manage to get some sleep on the flight over so at first I felt pretty charged but now I’m fading fast.

Tuesdays and Fridays are market days.
The taxi ride from Accra to Winneba was interesting. It took a bit of time. We got to Lagoon Lodge some time after 4 pm. Along the way we were in a mild fender bender . A big truck started pulling into our lane and crunched the taxi’s side mirror and front panel. Both drivers pulled over and did some haggling and arguing till finally the truck driver went back to his truck, came back and gave the Gideon, the taxi driver some cash.

I also was amazed at the various hawkers running among traffic selling their wares. That has to be a hot dangerous profession. Other than being very hot, I really enjoyed the ride to Winneba.


Road to Lagoon Lodge
Once I got settled in and showered, I got to meet Carly and some of the other volunteers at Challenging Heights. They are a very nice group of ladies.
Lagoon Lodge

Then we took and evening walk and I learned where I can catch the taxi. While I was out I purchased time for my phone card. I tried to make a call home this evening but I didn’t have any luck. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. More questions for the other volunteers tomorrow.

Amy, one of the volunteers invited me to join her on an outing. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you the name tonight because the Brandt Ghana book that I bought to use as a reference got stolen from my luggage. L I had put it in a side pocket which did not have a lock on it. When I got to the lodge I noticed it was gone. Carly is going to lend me hers for my stay. Thanks Carly.

No comments:

Post a Comment