Thursday, June 20, 2013


Wednesday was a rainy day in Winneba. It was pouring early in the morning but by the time I was walking to the junction where I usually catch a taxi, it was just a drizzle. I had an umbrella with me but the little bit of rain hitting my arm felt good so I didn’t pull the umbrella out.

The driveway of the Challenging Heights Office was a lake when I arrived. They have boards balanced on blocks to walk over the water and mud. With my camera bag on my back and my computer case on my shoulder, it was very precarious traversing the distance. The green building is the Challenging Heights office building where I work when I’m not at functions taking pictures.  This picture was taken at lunch and the water had receded considerably by then.

Wednesday evening several volunteers got together for a farewell dinner with Kelsey who was flying back to the states on Thursday. We all met at a Chop Bar at 6 pm. Chop Bars are the local eating establishment and we had gotten waakye (rice with beans) a couple time before at this one. According to those in the know, the waakye (pronounced waa chay) is some of the best you could get.
 
After we all made our waakye or jollof purchases we walked over to a fruit stand and Carly bought a fresh pineapple and a fresh mango. The vendor cut them with a small machete looking knife right there and put them in a plastic back for us to take with us. We walked the 20 minutes to one of the volunteer lodges known as Emanuels to enjoy our meal together.

The walk from Emanuels to Lagoon lodge took Kelsey, Amy and myself about 30 minutes but the evening was cool with nice ocean breezes so it wasn’t too bad.

This is the fruit stand that Carlie purchased fresh pineapple and mango for us. Both were delicious.
 
The streets are alive in the evening. There was a long line for the chop bar that we got our food from.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment