Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Daily basics


Today I took a taxi to the main Challenging Heights office. This is what I have learned so far. To get from the Lodge to the Challenging Heights office, I walked through South Campus, about a 15 minute walk to catch a passenger taxi. Passenger taxis are where you share it with others and taxi travels a certain route. To catch the taxi, you point your hand down by your leg and when they stop you say “North” or “South” depending on which way you are going. Fortunately I was told what to say because I have no idea which way is north or south. Once I got in, I said, “HFC Bank”. The office is just a little before the bank so once I saw the office I told the driver to stop. It costs 60 pesewas for the trip which is roughly 30 cents. To return to the Lodge, I once again walked up to the main road, pointed my hand down by my leg and when the taxi stopped I asked for “South”. I hopped in and asked for Liberation Square. It costs 60 pesewas as well. I ended up getting out at the south campus gate which is a little before Liberation Square and doesn’t have as large a hill that I have to go up and come down.

After a day in Ghana, I absolutely love taking the cold shower. Before coming to Ghana, I was a little worried about taking the cold showers at the Lodge. But once I got here, trust me, they feel wonderful. After a day of being drenched in sweat, it absolutely feels wonderful to step under the cold water. It’s one of my favorite parts of the day.


Water for drinking. You bite the corner off and just drink it from the bag.
Daniel,  the Challenging Heights staff who picked me up at the airport purchased some water for me on our way to Winneba on the first day I arrived. For 4 cedis, I got two bundles of 36 individual water sachets.  This is what they look like:
 


For ease of availability and cost, I bought a large bag of the sachets.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are writing about little daily-life details, too. I am appreciating all the mundane things here in the states that I have till now taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete