Thursday, June 20, 2013

Taxis, guys and cultural tidbits


Let me tell you a little about the taxi system. From what I read, about 80 percent of the cars are taxis and from what I’ve seen, I believe it. You can get a drop taxi which is more expensive that takes you from point A to point B or you can get a shared taxi that runs a large circle route and it is either heading north or south at any given moment.  A shared taxi costs 60 pesewas and can carry up to four passengers at a time. This morning’s ride felt a little tight by the time the driver picked up the fourth passenger but people get in and out throughout the circle route.

For the most part, the drivers have not made me nervous with their driving. I have only had two drivers where I have seriously considered telling them my stop was way earlier then was it was just to get out of the car. They are the drivers that ride the bumper of the car in front of them, zip out as soon as there is an opening whether it is safe or not and seemed to be totally impatient. Fortunately, as I mentioned, so far I’ve only had two of those drivers.

This morning, the driver met me at the top of the South Campus gate hill, I hopped in and said “HFC Bank” and he said, “I know, I know.” I guess he has picked me up before in the morning.
***

I'm washing my right hand in prep for eating with it.
 A little about customs… You only eat with your right hand and if you order a dish that is eaten with the hand, they bring you a bowl of water, soap and a towel to wash the right hand. It is also considered rude to hand or take anything to or from someone with the left hand. I try to remember that and they are forgiving of foreigners but it is hard to remember to take and give the change with the same hand.
***
Robert may not know it but I’ve been using him as a somewhat successful shield against being hit on by guys. Ghana guys have no qualms hitting on women. No matter what size or age. So when they ask me for my email, phone number, Facebook info, I just tell them I’m married and show them my ring, and say that my husband wouldn't like me giving that information out. Today my waiter at lunch was extra persistent and wanted to know why my husband wouldn't like me giving my phone number to him.

It's not as bad for me as it is for the 20 something volunteers but I’m still getting hit on. Amy, one of my volunteer friends, bought a gold band and started wearing it yesterday just to try to slow them down a bit. She said she hates having to lie to them but it gets tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment